Monday 28 November 2016

FINAL YEAR STUDENT AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA COMMITS SUICIDE OVER DEBT

Tobechukwu Okeke’s body was found on Sunday morning dangling from a rope in his room at Odenigwe, a community in Nsukka, Enugu State.
A neighbour said the deceased left a note behind where he apologised to his family. The neighbour, who did not want to be named, quoted the note as stating: 

“Mother, Father, brother, I’m sorry. Ify, may your children never suffer. Uncle Mathias, you gave me all. I am sorry. Death calls. Linguistic department, I am sorry. Okeke Tobechukwu S. 2012/185649.”



One of the deceased’s colleagues, who also did not want to be named, said he was given an electrical wiring job to do at the Department of Linguistics in the university, because of his expertise in electrical works.
“I saw him this (Sunday) morning, he seemed to have a problem which he needed money to solve,” the colleague added.
Mrs. Uju Umo, the university’s Dean of Student Affairs, confirmed the incident. She said  “I travelled for a burial last weekend and yesterday I got a text message saying a student had committed suicide, I was told he left a suicide note apologising to his fellow gamblers.”

Chukwu Emmanuel, the university’s Student Union President, also confirmed the incident, and said the matter was being investigated. “There’s no concrete details for now,” he added.

However, the general concesus from people close to the deceased is that he committed suicide because "he was owing too much money!”


This humble reporters summation is, are you sure Nwachuku Daniel Ikechuku is truely Tobechukwu Okeke’s  friend? I'm yet to understand how he could find a loved one dangling on a rope and his first port of call is not how to bring him down and try to resuscitate him but to post his lifeless body on facebook.
Just my 2cents.


Sources: Premium Times, Linda Ikeji's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment