Wednesday 29 February 2012

Nigerian movie Icon Chief James Akwari Iroha A.K.A Gringory Akabogu dead



A few months shy of his 70th birthday, Chief James Akwari Iroha A.K.A Gringory Akabogu was confirmed dead on Facebook by his son, Akwari James Iroha.

He wrote, “Sept 1942 _ Feb 2012. Not long ago a man we have all come to love, a man that has made us laugh, a friend to all but will always be Dad to my little sister Ugonma, my brothers Chiemela, Uche, Kelechi and me passed on.
“Chief James Udensi Akwari Iroha OON has passed on today. May his cheerfull soul rest in the Lord. Akwari James Iroha ( for the family).”

The creator and veteran member of the soap "New Masquerade" which was popular in the '70's & '80's.
in an interview held in 2008 he spoke about the origin and creation of the hit TV series.

“My mother happened to be a comedian, which fact people do not know about. But the idea of comedy came into my head immediately after the civil war in Nigeria. I looked at people and there were still emotional disturbances and grudges everywhere, and I thought that something had to be done. In the African context of the world, we appreciate humour. Being a natural comedian myself. I thought of what we could do to douse the tension in the people’s mind. That is exactly what gave birth to the Masquerade. First, it was part of a radio programme, In the Lighter Mood, presented by Bob Nwangoro. Then I bet him that we were going to make that part of the programme, the adventures of Chief Zebrudaya Okoroigwe Nwogbo, alias 4:30.

If you tear the texture of Masquerade apart, you will see my father as Chief Zebrudaya; my mother as Ovuleria. Jegede and the other friends of Zebrudaya are my father’s old friends. When they sit down in the evening to play asigo – a traditional Igbo game, they dished out these wonderful language that, though it did not agree with the conventional grammar, communicated. My father was just lampooning and admonishing and dishing out this language. But he was making his point. Like he would say to my mother: “Why do you pontolise my body with assault?” What is “pontolise” I don’t know. But it was understood. So any time my mother and father quarreled, people would gather to listen to them, and they would laugh and laugh. So I thought that could work in Masquerade and so I created Zebrudaya in my father’s image, Ovuleria became my mother and Jegede, Okoro Maduekwe, Nati and others, my father’s friends.”


In an interview granted earlier this year, the veteran actor extensively detailed his failing health and depressing financial challenges.

He was diagnosed with Glaucoma and as at the time of his death no longer had full vision. His family claim to have spent over N4m on his medical bills alone and the recommended eye drop which exhausted within two weeks cost N20, 000 per bottle.


Although the cause of death is currently unknown, the financial stress the family has been under may play a huge deterring role when "Gringory" is to be finally laid to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment